Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Savoy Cabbage, Hout Street

Maybe my expectations were too high…..apparently the New York times have listed their tomato tart as one of the 10 things to eat before you die. There was no tomato tart when I went….

I started with an Olive feta and caramelized onion tart…R60…..I’ll mention the price because the tart is not worth mentioning……to many tinned slices of olives and not enough panache. The main meal roast lamb rump with haricot beans, aubergine, roasted garlic and thyme jus……should have read chewy raw lamb rump with undercooked semi raw haricot beans, bitter aubergine two slivers of roasted garlic and a red wine sauce for R125…… then I would not have ordered it……….the dessert vanilla crème brule was fine the accompanying biscuit was soft does that mean stale???.....the two orange segments were good. The menu consisted of 7 starters and 10 mains of which 2 were sold out…the wine list had over 40 different wines……….is this a restaurant that concentrates on food or wine?????????????........as I said in the beginning maybe my expectations were too high

No comments: